On today’s episode of Framework, Jamie chats with Dr. Anthony Chan, the former chief economist at JPMorgan Wealth Management.
During his nearly 40 years of financial industry experience, Dr. Chan has done his time on Wall Street, worked with the Federal Reserve, and dug deeper as an economic researcher. Aside from building his legacy with Skyhook Foundation, he now spends his time as a public speaker and talks about the global economy and financial markets around the world.
Dr. Chan talks with Jamie about his experience in monetary and economic policy and creating an impact through public speaking.
(28:37) “There were no views, there were only facts. You make the decision as to how you use those facts. It’s not my job to help you think because everybody’s an adult. It is not my job to influence your thinking. My job is to provide the information so that you can make an informed decision on your own.” ~ @EconomistChan
- Before every five-minute presentation, you need to allow at least 10 hours for preparation. It’s essential to be well-informed so that you aren’t caught off guard with questions the audience throws at you.
- Show the audience both sides of an argument or topic. Influence their decisions by presenting unbiased facts rather than emotional appeals.
- For monetary theorists and policymakers, it’s crucial to avoid making the same mistake twice. It’s vital to go over the history associated with a trend (i.e., financial crises) and develop strategies for prevention.
Links and Important Mentions
- Anthony Chan on Twitter
- Skyhook Foundation
- Crest Toothpaste
- Curtis Sliwa
- Howard Schultz
- Canarsie High School
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar on Twitter
- Federal Reserve System
- Paul Volcker
- JPMorgan Chase & Co.
- American Bankers Association (ABA)
- Alan Greenspan
- S&P CoreLogic Case-Shiller Home Price Indices
- John Maynard Keynes
Transform the Way You Grow Your Firm at Excell 2021
Whether you’re just starting in the industry or you manage a billion-dollar firm, Excell 2021 is for you. As one of the largest conferences in the industry, we have a full slate of development opportunities for you and your entire team. Hear from Carson Founder and CEO Ron Carson, best-selling author John DiJulius, Nerd’s Eye View’s Michael Kitces, Framework Host Jamie Hopkins, and plenty more.