How can reverse mortgages enhance retirement income planning? Today we take a deeper dive into the potential of home equity with reverse mortgages.
In this episode, Jamie Hopkins, Managing Partner of Wealth Solutions, and Ana Trujillo Limón, Director, Coaching and Advisor Content, are joined by Craig Lemoine, CFP®, Ph.D., MRFC, Director of Personal Financial Planning, to speak with Dr. Wade Pfau, Founder of Retirement Researcher and RISA Profile, about the intersection of home equity and retirement income planning. They explore the potential benefits of reverse mortgages and the common misconceptions surrounding them. The conversation also touches on the emotional attachment people have to their homes and how this can impact their willingness to consider home equity in their retirement planning. Wade and Craig highlight the importance of understanding clients’ needs and goals and the need for continued research and education in the field.
Wade and Craig discuss:
- How they both became involved with home equity and retirement income
- When is an ideal time to consider a reverse mortgage
- The challenge points and negative perceptions around home equity and reverse mortgages
- The behavioral finance perspective on emotional attachment to housing wealth
- Dr. Pfau’s research on housing wealth and the lack of pushback on his research on reverse mortgages
- The misconceptions that some advisors have about reverse mortgages
- How advisors can talk to their clients about reverse mortgages
- What areas advisors need to improve on related to home equity and reverse mortgages
- And more
- Framework | E134 | Dr. Wade Pfau: Retirement Planning in a Changing World
- Reverse Mortgages by Wade Pfau
Connect with Ana Trujillo Limón:
Connect with Wade Pfau:
Connect with Craig Lemoine:
About our Guests:
Wade D. Pfau, Ph.D., CFA, RICP® is the founder of Retirement Researcher, an educational resource for individuals and financial advisors on topics related to retirement income planning. He is a co-founder of the Retirement Income Style Awareness tool and a co-host of the Retire with Style podcast. He also serves as a principal and the director of retirement research for McLean Asset Management. He also serves as a Research Fellow with the Alliance for Lifetime Income and Retirement Income Institute. He is a professor of practice at the American College of Financial Services and past director of the Retirement Income Certified Professional® (RICP®) designation program.
Craig Lemoine is the Director of the Financial Planning Program at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.
This episode of Framework was pre-recorded. At the time of recording, Jamie Hopkins was affiliated with CWM, LLC. Jamie Hopkins is not currently registered with or affiliated with CWM, LLC.
This episode of the Framework podcast is purely educational. No products or services will be recommended or offered for sale. The opinions voiced in the Framework podcast are for general information only and are not intended to provide specific advice or recommendations for any individual. To determine what may be appropriate for you, consult with your attorney, accountant, financial or tax advisor prior to investing.
Carson Group is committed to advancing financial literacy. Our coaches work with thousands of FPA members. Schedule a consultation to learn how Carson can help you help your clients and grow your business.